October 24, 2008
This series wouldn’t be complete without at least one post on an awesome internet resource to help with phonics, so I’ll write about one of my favorites: Starfall.com
This site is amazing! If you only check out one internet educational site, this is it. I stumbled on Starfall a few years ago and have watched the site improve and grow with new features all the time. Here is an explanation of the site for parents.
The first thing I really loved about Starfall was the founder’s story. Although Stephen Schutz went on to earn his PhD, he struggled to read as a 9-year-old and was always at the bottom of his class in reading. As an adult, he was inspired to give something back that would help other children who were struggling like he was as a child. How cool is that?
What we like:
- How interactive it all is. The kids can click everywhere – on the letters to hear the sounds, on the characters to watch them do something funny, on the words to hear them read or sounded out, etc. And it’s all very intuitive with big buttons even my 2-year-old can navigate.
- It’s progressive, starting with beginning sound and letter skills and moving all the way through advanced reading skills.
- My kids really enjoy the games, videos, and stories that go along with the early reading section. It’s a fun way to reinforce early reading skills.
- You can buy books and other educational supplies that parallel the online phonics stories for a very reasonable price. But even better for the bargain hunters in the group, they offer some great printable PDF documents for FREE. You can print cut-up take home books, printing practice sheets, reading/writing journals and more.
- And my usual favorite, once again, it’s free
Do you have a favorite reading site online? Please share it with us in the comment section. Thanks!
Other Posts in this Series:
Also, since this blog is still new, feel free to post links to articles and the website, or to email links and recommendations to friends. The more readers the better! Thanks!