October 21, 2008
Practicing spelling lists can often be boring for kids, and we’re always looking for creative ways to make learning fun.
We found a great website that offers lots of great help for reviewing spelling lists: Spelling City!
What we like:
- You can enter your own spelling lists, name and sort them. Totally customizable!
- The ‘Teach Me’ section will read the spelling word to you, read the letters out loud, and then even recites a sentence using the word. Their database has over 37,000 spelling words along with contextual sentences for each!
- The ‘Test Me’ section will read the words to you along with the contextual sentences and then you type the word into the testing box. After the test you get a score and can even print a report showing your score along with all the words including correctly and incorrectly spelled answers.
- The ‘Play a Game’ section has nine games for a lot of fun reviewing. Games include classics like HangMouse (Hangman), crossword puzzles, and word searches.
- Lots of Spelling Lists are already entered. You can search among many spelling lists to find ones that suit your children.
- Parents can create a Login and then save and manage lists for kids to practice, so you don’t have to reenter the words each time.
- Did I mention it’s free? You’re also welcome to make donations to support the site.
When I find sites like this, I take a moment to be grateful for dedicated people who do so much to share their skills and give back to society. Thank you!
Do you have a suggestion for making spelling work more effective or more fun? Please share it with us in the comment section. I really appreciate the suggestions and feedback!
Posted under Language Art Websites